Dal Makahani Background :
Dal makhani is a staple authentic North Indian recipe, Dal makhani was first created by Punjabis and is a Panjabi Qusine a rich vegetarian dish which can be served as a main meal.It was popularized in India by entrepreneurial Punjabi migrants Kundan Lal Jaggi, Kundan Lal Gujral and Thakur Dass, who opened the Moti Mahal restaurant in Daryaganj, Delhi, India. Nowdays Its a most popular recipe served in many restaurant,the best thing about this recipe is its creamy texture and a perfect blend of spices.
You can make this traditional recipe in restaurant style by using some simple ingredients easily available in your kitchen. Made with lentils, red kidney beans, cream and butter, this quick recipe is undoubtedly everyone’s favourite when it comes to dining out, its flavorful taste has made this dal recipe a hit at restaurants and parties. It tastes best when served with naan, missi roti or jeera rice along with dahi raita.
|Red Kindey Beans/ Rajma||½ Cup Soaked overnight|
|Black whole lentils / Kali sabut Urad Dal||1 Cup Soaked Over Night|
|Split chickpeas lentils/ Chana Dal||¼ Cup Soaked overnight|
|Black Cardamom||1 no|
|Green Cardamom||1 no|
|Cinnamon||½ Inch stick|
|Bay Leaves||2-3 Leaves|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Tablespoon|
|Black Pepper Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek / Methi Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Medium Size Onion||2 Nos finely Chopped|
|Cumin / Jeera Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||1& 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Big Size Tomato||1 Big in paste form|
|Garam Masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Red Chili Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Green Chilies||2-3 Chopped|
|Cooking Oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Ice Cube||5-6 Cubes|
|Fresh Cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Desi Ghee/ Clarified Butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Charcoal||For Smoky Flavor|
|Fresh Coriander||For Garnishing|
- Soak Black whole lentils/ Sabut Urad dal & Red Kidny Beans/ Rajma together for overnight in order to make it tender to cook properly, put Chana Dal in separate bowl and soak it for overnight separately.
- Take medium size pressure cooker put soaked Black Whole Lentils / Sabut Urad Dal and Red Kidney Beans/ Rajma, add 1 tablespoon cooking oil, 1 Black cardamom, 1 Green cardamom, 2-3 Bay leaves, 3 Cloves, 1/2 Inch Cinnamon stick, 1 Onion Chopped, 2-3 Green chilies chopped, 1 teaspoon Salt, 3 cup water, close the lid and cook for 20 mins or till 5 whistle on medium gas flame.
- Cook separately Split Chickpeas Lentils / Chana Dal in small cooker add 1 cup water, cook for 7 mins or 2 whistle of pressure and brings dal to paste form to be added at later stage.
- Put frying pan on gas add 2 table spoon cooking oil bring it to heat, add 1 Onion finely chopped and fry till translucent or slight brown, add 1 teaspoon fenugreek Powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste, ½ tablespoon Turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon Gram Masala, 1 teaspoon Red chili powder, 1 teaspoon Jeera powder and fry further 1 min to mix all masala well, Now add 1 big Tomato puree, 1 teaspoon salt and fry for 5 mins till tomato puree is properly cooked and you can see oil is separating from gravy.
- Keep pressure cooker aside after 20 mins of cooking to rest for 10 mins, open lid and take ¼ of hot Dal into mixer grinder bowl, add 5-6 ice cubes and blend it well to form puree, add this puree into the frying pan along with dal from pressure cooker and bring it to boil add 1 cup of water if required to see gravy consistency.
- Once Dal is boiling in frying pan add Split Chickpeas Lentils/ Chana Dal paste, 50 gms butter to it, boil for another 10 mins, Taste & check dal for salt, add if required & close the gas lid.
- Heat Charcoal on gas keep the same in steel bowl on dal drip on 1 table spoon ghee/clarified butter on it and close the lid of frying pan, let the smoke settle inside frying pan. Dish out dal in serving bowl, put 2 table spoon fresh cream on dal and allow dal to rest for 5 mins.
- Your Dal Makhani is ready for serving, garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
- All above mentioned dal if soaked for overnight or minimum 8 hrs make it tender to cook properly
- Bending hot dal in mixer grinder with ice cubes which bring out the creamy texture of dal and help dal to form thick gravy.
- Adding more butter to dal enhances its taste.
- Take care of difference between Tablespoon & Teaspoon in above recipes otherwise it will spoil your taste.
- Dhungar method i.e. heating charcoal and dripping desi ghee on it gives smoky flavor to your dal.
Enjoy cooking and give feedback